This is a classic crumble with a flapjack twist, delicious with rhubarb and apple or any other fruit combination that fancy trying, gooseberries work really well so do pears and blackberries.
Click here for the YouTube version
Ingredients: for 6 mini crumbles or 1 large one
5 Bramley Cooking Apples
Juice of 1 lemon
5 tablespoons light brown soft sugar
Grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the crumble topping:
150g plain flour
200g butter chilled and diced
150g mixed rolled and jumbo oats
175g light soft brown sugar
100g roasted chopped hazelnuts (optional)
How to make Rhubarb and Apple Oaty Crumble… WASH YOUR HANDS
1. Preheat the oven to 190oc/Gas 5 and put a shelf onto the centre runner. (AGA Roasting oven – shelf on oven floor)
2. Peel and core the apple and cut into quarters then cut the quarters into 3cm pieces. Chop the rhubarb into 3cm chunks.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the chopped apple and rhubarb along with the lemon juice and the sugar, cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
4. Rub in the butter and flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
5. Add the sugar and oats to the bowl, stir to mix, stir in the chopped hazelnuts if using.
6. Place the cooked fruit into the bottom of each of the heatproof dish. Sprinkle with the orange zest and juice and a little cinnamon if you wish. Place the crumble mixture over the top so the fruit is well covered and place it on a Baking Tray (it’s easier to get them in and out of the oven if they are on a baking tray).
7. Bake for 25-30 mins until the topping is golden brown and the apple is soft. Eat warm with custard or ice cream.