These are my cupcake version of sticky toffee pudding.
They are delicious served warm with ice cream and lashings of butterscotch sauce on the side on bonfire night or for a Halloween party. They are just as nice served cold, still with lashings of butterscotch sauce on the side. If you serve them warm please don’t put buttercream icing on them or it will melt. Click for the YouTube video version
Ingredients for 12 cupcakes
150g soft butter or margarine
150g dark muscovado sugar
150g self raising flour
2 tablespoons black treacle or molasses
80g chopped dates
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3-4 tablespoons butterscotch sauce
Ingredients for Butterscotch Sauce
175g light muscovado sugar
150ml double cream
Ingredients for Toffee Buttercream
100g soft butter
300g icing sugar, sieved
2-3 tbsp butterscotch sauce
Ice cream to serve
How to make Sticky Toffee Cupcakes… WASH YOUR HANDS
1. Preheat the oven on to 180c/gas mark 4. (AGA: Roasting oven, shelf on oven floor).
2. Make butterscotch sauce – simply put all the ingredients in a saucepan and set over a low heat, stir occasionally until everything melts, stir together, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, flour and black treacle and mix well.
4. Place the chopped dates and water in a pan and bring to the boil, remove from the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda, pour this into the mixture and mix well
5. Split the mixture evenly between 12 cupcake cases in a muffin tin and stir in 1 teaspoonful of butterscotch sauce into each cupcake, swirling the sauce into the cake mix.
6. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. (Aga: 15-20 minutes)
7. Make the icing – cream together the butter and icing sugar with the butterscotch sauce, transfer to a piping bag with a 1M nozzle ready to pipe.
8. Once the cakes have cooled, remove a disc of cake with a teaspoon, pour in some butterscotch sauce, replace the lid and pipe the toffee buttercream on top of the cake to disguise the lid, pour over some butterscotch sauce and serve.