Oreo cupcakes is a basic chocolate cupcake recipe with Oreo frosting.
Make sure you beat the icing well until it doubles in size then it will be light and fluffy, Trex has no flavour or colour so you can add your own preferences. If you wish you can use unsalted butter but you will need to double the quantity of fat. This recipe also features in Hello Magazine’s recipe website.
Ingredients: for 12 chocolate cupcakes
150g soft butter or margarine
150g caster sugar
125g self raising flour
25g good quality cocoa powder
For the Oreo frosting:
00g white vegetable fat such as Trex
400g icing sugar
A little water
2 packets of Oreo biscuits
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/fan 160c/gas 4.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, flour and sieve in the cocoa and mix well.
4. Split the mixture between 12 cupcake cases in a muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes. Leave to cool.
5. To make up the frosting: beat the white vegetable fat in an electric mixer for 20-30 seconds until it’s softened, sift in the icing sugar and add 1 tablespoon of water, slowly start mixing until the icing sugar is amalgamated adding more water if the icing looks crumbly. Turn up the mixer to the highest setting and beat for 4-5 minutes until the icing has doubled in volume, it should feel soft when stirred, if it is difficult to stir add a little more water and beat again for 30 seconds.
6. Reserve 12 Oreo biscuits, place the remainder in a food processor and process to crumbs. Stir the Oreo crumbs into the frosting then transfer to a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes, finish each one with a whole Oreo biscuit.
A children’s version of this recipe first appeared in Cupcake Kids 2012.