These biscuits are a little like flapjack but in a biscuit form, add currants or other dried fruit to them and sunflower or pumpkin seeds to make them a little more healthy. The video is available on YouTube.
Ingredients: for approx 16 biscuits
50g light soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
100g self raising flour
100g rolled oats
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
50g currants or raisins (optional)
How to make oat crunchies … WASH YOUR HANDS
- Preheat the oven to 170oc/gas mark 3. (Aga: Roasting oven, shelf on oven floor). Grease and line a baking tray
- Place the butter, sugar and golden syrup into the saucepan and set over a low heat until everything has melted.
- Mix together the flour, oats, mixed spice and dried fruit if using.
- Remove the pan from the heat once the ingredients have melted and stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until well mixed.
- Place 16 teaspoonfuls of mixture on a lined, greased baking tray, press each biscuit down gently to flatten them. Make sure you leave plenty of room between them, as they will spread as they cook.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (Aga: 8-10 minutes) until golden brown. Remove them from the oven and leave to cool.