These are amazing cakes that look just like a pot plant, they will fool anyone, just remember that the flower doesn’t have any water in it so put it into the tube at the last minute, do NOT eat the flower or the pot! You can buy the flower tubes from a florist and you could also buy some cellowrap and ribbons to wrap the flower pot in to make it look really authentic. the instructions are aimed at children with help from an adult.
The YouTube version is available too
Ingredients: for 4 flower pot cakes
150g soft butter or margarine
150g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
1 heaped tablespoon cocoa powder
Ingredients: for the icing and soil
160g icing sugar
50g soft butter
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1-2 tablespoons milk
1 packet of Oreo cookies
4 x gerberas or other flowers<
- Ask an adult to preheat the oven to 170oc/Gas 4 and put a shelf onto the centre runner. (AGA Roasting oven – shelf on oven floor).
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, beat in the eggs then fold in the flour and cocoa powder. Beat well to mix.
- Wash the terracotta pots really well. Cut a disc out of baking parchment the same size as the base of the flower pot (the pot will have a hole and you need to cover this or your cake mix will run out) and place it in the base of the pot. Grease the rest of the pot.
- Spoon the mixture equally between the 4 flowerpots. Ask an adult to put the pots onto a baking tray and into the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cakes are springy, to check, insert a skewer, when it comes out clean the cakes are cooked. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- While the cakes are cooking make the icing. Cream the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together; add the milk a little at a time until you have soft icing.
- Ask an adult to place the Oreo biscuits into the food processor and process to a powder.
- Once your cakes have cooled, spread the chocolate buttercream icing on top then sprinkle over the biscuit crumbs to look like soil. Wash the flower tube well and push this into the centre of the cake, if it’s too tall ask an adult to trim it, you shouldn’t be able to see it above the soil. At the last minute put in the flower.