150g soft butter or margarine
150g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
1 tablespoon good quality cocoa powder
1 courgette or beetroot, grated.
For the icing:
2 tablespoons caster sugar
500g fondant icing sugar
How to make Surprise Chocolate Cakes… WASH YOUR HANDS
- Preheat the oven on to 180c / gas 4/ AGA baking oven or roasting oven with shelf on oven floor and plain cold shelf on second set of runners
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, flour and cocoa and mix well, add blackcurrants and courgette or beetroot and gently fold in.
- Split the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Heat the blackcurrants and caster sugar in a small saucepan and cook over a low heat until the blackcurrants ‘collapse’ and the juices flow.
- Remove from the heat and sieve into a bowl, squashing the fruit down to extract as much juice as possible.
- Place the fondant icing sugar into a mixing bowl and gradually add the blackcurrant juice mixing until the icing sugar becomes glossy and sticky, add a little water if you need to but not too much as you want the icing thick and sticky.