This is a lovely easy supper that can be prepared ahead and warmed through on the day, the delicious juices are fabulous for dunking ciabatta or similar crusty bread into and served with a green salad it turns a hearty simple meal into something impressive and is great for supper with friends.
Ingredients: Serves 2:
400g tin chopped tomatoes or tomato passata
400g mozzarella cheese, ripped into pieces
80g flaked parmesan cheese
1 bunch fresh basil
sea salt and black pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to Gas 3/170oc. Slice the aubergines to around 1cm thick.
- Heat a frying pan, brush the aubergine slices with a little olive oil and fry the aubergines in batches until golden brown, drain on kitchen roll.
- Place a single layer of aubergines followed by chopped tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, parmesan flakes, salt, pepper and basil leaves in a deep casserole dish, repeat so you end up with 2-3 layers.
- Put the lid on and bake for 1-2 hours until the cheese is golden and melted on top.
- Serve with crusty bread and green salad.