These Mexican wraps are versatile, healthy and easy to prepare. If you don’t have any wraps then you can make them yourself using the recipe below, or serve the fajita filling with noodles, rice or as a filling for baked potatoes. If you’re making this for younger children then omit the chilli powder and serve with chilli sauce or chopped fresh red chilli on the side so your family can adjust the chilli heat to their own tastes.
The chicken can be substituted with steak for beef fajitas or a drained 400g tin of chickpeas for vegetarian fajitas.
Fajita Ingredients: for 4 servings
1 x tbsp sunflower oil
4 x boned and skinned chicken breasts
1 x 250g pack Belleverde broccoli
1 x clove of garlic
2 x red onions
1 x red pepper
1 x orange pepper
1 x yellow pepper
2 x large, flat mushrooms
1 x tsp chili powder (omit if required)
1 x tsp mild paprika
3 x limes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Guacamole, soured cream and grated cheese to serve
- Slice the chicken, cut the Belleverde broccoli stems into 3 large chunks, finely slice the garlic, onions, peppers and mushrooms.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan or wok, when hot, add the sliced chicken and stir fry over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until just coloured
- Add the garlic, onions and peppers and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until the chicken is just cooked and the vegetables are starting to soften, add the Belleverde broccoli and mushrooms and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Squeeze 2 of the limes into the frying pan/wok and sprinkle over the paprika and chili powder, season with a little salt and pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Remove from heat and serve with warmed tortilla wraps.
- To make up a fajita place a spoonful each of guacamole and soured cream in the middle of each wrap followed by a large spoonful of chicken mixture (there should be enough of this for 2 fajitas each), sprinkle over some grated cheese and squeeze lime juice over the top, roll up and eat warm.
Tortilla Ingredients: for 12 tortillas
If you don’t have any tortilla wraps these are quick and easy to make, you can use wholemeal flour instead of plain flour to make them healthier or use half wholemeal and half plain flour.
450g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
100g white vegetable fat
120ml warm water
- Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and stir to mix. Cut the white vegetable fat into small cubes and rub it into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs
- Add the warm water steadily and combine using your fingers until the mixture forms a dough which is stiff but pliable. Add more warm water if needed.
- Knead the dough on a clean, floured work surface for 10-15 minutes until it is elastic
- Divide into 12 pieces, cover with clingfilm until you are ready to roll them to prevent them drying out. One at a time roll each piece into a circle, cover with clingfilm again to stop them drying out.
- Warm a dry, heavy frying pan or griddle and cook each tortilla for 1 minute each side until the surface starts to bubble and has turned a light golden colour.
- Wrap the tortillas in a clean tea towel to keep warm and pliable until you are ready to eat them
Guacamole: for 4 servings
This homemade guacamole is very easy to make, make sure you use ripe avocados.
- Halve the avocados, remove the stone and scoop the flesh into a bowl, mash with a fork to the consistency you prefer. If you like chunky guacamole leave some lumps, if you prefer it smooth then mash for longer.
- Halve the limes and squeeze the lime juice over the mashed avocados and stir to gently mix. Serve with fajitas.