These are slightly lower fat than standard tartlets as they use filo pastry instead of shortcrust pastry but you make up for that by brushing the filo with melted butter. Super easy to make and they taste delicious
You could vary the filling by using sundried tomatoes, baby mozzarella balls, goat’s cheese, pesto, salami or parma ham, raid your fridge and create your own filling.
Ingredients: for 12 tartlets
400g fresh spinach
Pack of filo pastry
75g melted butter
200g feta cheese
12 cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons pine nuts
Juice of 1-2 lemons
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make tomato, feta and spinach tartlets….. WASH YOUR HANDS
- Preheat the oven on 180oc/gas 4.
- Cook the spinach for 3 minutes until wilted, drain, refresh in cold water and set to one side.
- Lay out the filo pastry flat and brush each sheet with melted butter, use scissors to cut each sheet into 8 or 10 squares and layer 3 squares on top of each other. Grease the muffin tray. Gently press into the holes of a muffin tray.
- Squeeze the excess water from the spinach, place into a bowl, crumble the feta cheese in with the spinach and mix. Place spoonfuls of the spinach mixture into the filo pastry cup in the muffin trays, sharing the mixture equally between all 12 cases, finally add one cherry tomato to each one, sprinkle with pine nuts, squeeze over a little lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Curl over the edges of the filo pastry to scrunch around the top of the tartlet to give it a lovely crusty edge.
- Bake for around 15-20 minutes until golden brown. (AGA roasting oven muffin tin on oven floor. Serve hot.