This is a firm family favourite, easy to make and it is delicious warmed up second day if there are any leftovers.
Ingredients: for 4 people
1 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken breasts/thighs/legs on the bone
200g shallots, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
8 chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
250ml chicken stock, hot
120ml dry white wine
250g crème fraiche
1 tbsp double cream
2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large oven proof casserole. Season the chicken pieces and add these, skin side down and fry until golden brown (AGA roasting oven fry on the oven floor) around 4 mins. Turn them over and brown the other side.
- Remove the chicken and add the shallots, garlic and mushrooms and sauté gently.
- Keeping the chicken skin side up, place back into the pan, cover with the shallots, garlic, mushrooms, herbs and seasoning. Add the stock and wine and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. (AGA: Simmering oven for 30-40 minutes, on oven floor)
- Lift out the chicken carefully and transfer to a plate. Bring the liquid to the boil and boil until the liquid has reduced by half (AGA roasting oven directly onto the oven floor with the lid off until the sauce has reduced to half.)
- Reduce the heat, add the crème fraiche and tarrago