A taste of summer in a cupcake. This is a great cake or pudding to take on a picnic, you could cheat and buy a madeira cake, make up the topping and assemble it at the picnic. It makes a lovely change to summer pudding
150g soft butter or margarine
150g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
150g self raising flour
200g mixed berries such as raspberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, blackberries etc (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
Ingredients: for the topping
100g mixed berries as above
2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Preheat the oven on to 180c/gas 4. (AGA roasting oven, shelf on oven floor).
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and flour and mix well.
- Gently stir in the berries being careful not to break them.
- Split the mixture evenly between the 12 cupcake cases in a muffin tin and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. (AGA: 15-20 minutes).
- Place the berries for the topping in a pan with the caster sugar, heat gently for 5-10 minutes until the berries collapse and the juices run. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack, leave to cool.
- To serve place a spoonful of berries on top of each cupcake as a healthy alternative to icing.