This is a basic chocolate cupcake recipe with a strawberry cream centre to replicate a classic Strawberry Cream Chocolate.
Ingredients: for 12 chocolate cupcakes
150g soft butter or margarine
150g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
1 tablespoon good quality cocoa powder
For the strawberry coulis:
175g strawberries, washed and chopped
20g caster sugar
For the strawberry fondant icing:
250g fondant icing sugar
12 fresh whole strawberries
200g dark chocolate – 55% cocoa solids or higher
- Preheat the oven to 180c/fan 160c/gas 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, flour and cocoa and mix well.
- Split the mixture between 12 cupcake cases in a muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes. Leave to cool.
- To make up the coulis: place the chopped strawberries and caster sugar in a small saucepan and set it over a low heat for 5-10 minutes until the fruit collapses and the juices run. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes. Press the strawberries and juice through a sieve to create a thick juice, add a little water to the pan to rinse round the rest of the lovely juices and add to the thick juice.
- To make the strawberry fondant icing: mix the fondant icing sugar with a tablespoon of strawberry coulis, add more coulis to make a thick icing, if needed you can add a little water.
- Once the cupcakes are cool use a teaspoon to scoop out the centre of the cake in a circle, drizzle with left over coulis, place a teaspoon of strawberry jam followed by a teaspoon of strawberry fondant, replace the cake lid.
- Wash the whole strawberries leaving the stalk intact and place on a clean tea towel to dry. Break up the chocolate and melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water then lay out a sheet of baking parchment and dunk the bottom of each strawberry into the chocolate, lay on the parchment and transfer to the fridge for 10 minutes to dry.
- To finish the cupcakes drizzle over more strawberry fondant icing as well as some of the melted chocolate and top with a chocolate dunked strawberry.
This recipe first appeared in Cupcake Kids in 2012