Soda bread has to be the easiest bread on the planet, no kneading, no proving and really quick to make, add sundried tomatoes and pumpkin seeds for extra flavour and crunch.
Ingredients: makes 8 chunks
400g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon caster sugar
25g butter, melted
300ml milk, at room temperature mixed with the juice of a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5 and melt the butter.
- Sieve dry ingredients into large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Measure out the milk, stir in the lemon juice and add to the dry ingredients along with the melted butter. Mix to a soft dough.
- Dust the worksurface with flour and tip out the dough. Divide the dough into eight lumps and shape into rough rounds approximately 2.5 cms tall.
- Put the dough rounds onto a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is bubbling on the top.
- Cool on a wire rack and eat while warm.
Bonfire Bread – make as above adding 175g grated, strong, cheddar cheese, 85g chopped sun-dried tomatoes and 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds. Sprinkle with a little extra cheese and pumpkin seeds before baking.
Courgette and Cheese Soda Bread – make as above adding 1 medium courgette, grated and 100g grated, strong, cheddar cheese.
Fruit Soda Bread – make as above replacing half the flour with wholemeal flour, omitting the salt and adding 75g caster sugar, 100g raisins or sultanas, 1 tsp mixed spice and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon. Sprinkle with Demerara sugar.