These beautiful sweet or savoury biscuits are an ideal nibble to serve with drinks at Christmas or New Year.
Ingredients: for approx 20 cheese palmiers
1 pack puff pastry
75g grated parmesan cheese
salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220oc/gas 7
- Roll out the pastry to the shape of an oblong approx 30 x 20cm (the size of a standard baking tray).
- Sprinkle two thirds of the cheese over the sheet of pastry along with a little salt and black pepper. Gently press the cheese into the pastry.
- Roll over each end to meet into the middle, sprinkle the rest of the cheese on the rolled over pastry then roll the ends in again to meet in the middle. Do not press down on the pastry. This should give you two rolls of pastry meeting in the middle.
- Cut the roll of cheesy pastry into 5mm strips. Lay them cut side up on a baking tray leaving space around them as they’ll grow a little.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. (AGA roasting oven – bake on second set of runners for 5-6 minutes)
Goats Cheese and Pesto – spread pesto over the pastry, crumble goats cheese instead of parmesan and scatter a few pine nuts over too.
Sundried Tomato and ham – spread sundried tomato paste over the pastry, add strips of parma ham or proscuitto.
Tapenade, chopped olives or chopped sundried tomatoes – add these to any cheeses or hams.
Chocolate and pine nuts (and fresh chilli) – scatter dark chocolate chips or grated dark chocolate over, toast pine nuts, chop and lay these over the top, add some chopped fresh red chilli if you like heat, sprinkle with demerara sugar before baking