This pizza base is made from cauliflower, so it’s low carb and suitable for anyone with a gluten or wheat allergy. It is surprisingly filling and tastes really good, don’t expect a crispy base as it remains soft and easier to eat with a knife and fork than your fingers.
Ingredients for 2 pizza bases:
420g raw cauliflower – approx a medium cauliflower once it’s been grated
1 medium egg
25g grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried oregano
2 large slices of German pepper salami
20g thinly sliced pepperoni
1 tbsp frozen peas
1 ball mozzarella (you’ll need more for the pizza topping for the second pizza)
salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200c/gas 6/AGA roasting oven.
- Grate the cauliflower, discarding the stalk and hard centre. Place into a microwave safe container and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Transfer the grated cauliflower to a square of muslin or a clean tea towel, leave to cool then squeeze out the water. There will be lot of water, it’s surprising how much comes out of the cooked cauliflower.
- Tip the cauliflower into a bowl and add the egg, parmesan cheese and grate in half the ball of mozzerella, oregano, season and mix well, split into two and gently squeeze each into a ball to make two pizza bases.
- Sprinkle a little olive oil onto a baking tray or piece of baking parchment, rub some on your fingers and flatten each of the pizza base balls into a rough disc on the oiled tray or parchment. Neaten the edges and bake for 10 minutes until golden. (AGA baking tray on oven floor for 8-10 minutes)
- Remove from the oven and on one of the pizza bases spread over the passata then top with the salami, pepperoni, frozen peas and scatter with the remaining mozzarella. Leave the other to cool and freeze it until you need it.
- Place back into the oven and bake for 6-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
You can use a different choice of pizza topping if you wish, this is just to give you an idea, the above pizza comes in at approx 330 calories, 15g carbs, 18g fat, 34g protein and is very filling.