This is my Mother-in-law’s recipe, it’s lovely, super easy to make and stores really well. You could freeze one of the loaves (ha ha, sorry good joke!). Slices are fabulous for lunch boxes and I will be playing with them to make the recipe a little more healthy, for the moment here it is, unadulterated and delicious.
150g soft butter
150g light muscovado sugar
200g self raising flour (or half wholemeal for a healthier version)
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
450g mixed dried fruit
50g chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180c/gas 4, AGA roasting or baking oven.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add the eggs, flour and mixed spice and mix well
- Fold in the dried fruit and nuts.
- Grease and Line two x 450g (1lb) loaf tins, split the mixture between the two tins, flatten the tops and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins. AGA roasting oven, shelf on oven floor with the plain cold shelf on 2nd set of runners for 45-50 minutes swapping over the plain cold shelf half way through, or baking oven, shelf on bottom set of runners for 1 hour.
- Cakes are ready when they are firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean.