A classic English biscuit, different to gingerbread as these have a ‘crackle’ effect when baked and are essential to dunk into a cup of tea
Ingredients: for around 15 biscuits
50g light muscovado sugar
50g golden syrup
110g plain flour
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
How to make gingersnaps… WASH YOUR HANDS
- Preheat the oven to 180c/gas 4/AGA roasting oven shelf on oven floor or baking oven. Grease the baking trays using a little butter and line the trays with baking parchment.
- Put the butter, sugar and syrup into a saucepan and set over a low heat, stirring occasionally until the butter has melted.
- Sift in the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda and stir until it forms a soft dough
- Take a teaspoonful at a time and roll the dough into a ball, place on the baking tray leaving room in between each ball for them to spread out. Bake for 15-20 minutes until they are beginning to crack and are brown. (AGA roasting oven 6-8 minutes, baking oven 10-15 minutes)
- Leave on the baking tray for 5-10 minutes to fully set then transfer to a wire wrack to cool.