One of my favourite classic English biscuits, ideal for dunking into tea or coffee and super quick and easy to make. This version uses wholemeal spelt flour and my children didn’t notice – result
For approximately 16-18 biscuits
50g light muscovado sugar
50g golden syrup
110g wholemeal spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 180c/gas 4/ AGA roasting oven third set of runners.
- Place the butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan over a low heat and stir until melted.
- Mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger, pour in the melted ingredients and stir to form a dough.
- Place teaspoonfuls of mixture on a greased and lined baking tray, making sure they have plenty of room to spread, you will probably only get 9-12 biscuits on one tray.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes until deep golden brown (AGA 6-7 minutes), leave on the tray for 15-20 minutes until cool and hardened then transfer to a cooling rack to crisp up.