Eve’s pudding is so named as the recipe uses apples, I’ve made a winter version using apples and a mixture of other winter fruits: blackberries and plums in this case.
Ingredients (serves 4)
400g winter fruits (apple, pear, plum, blackberry)
75g Demerara sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
75g soft butter or margarine
75g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
A little milk, to mix
Flaked almonds (optional)
How to make Winter Eves Pudding … WASH YOUR HANDS
- Apples and pears – core and peel the apples and cut the pears into quarters and peel and cut out the core. Then slice or cut into cubes. Place in a pan with a little water and cook them for 5-10 minutes until starting to soften.
- Plums – cut a line around the middle of the plum. Twist each side of the plum in opposite directions and the plum will come apart into two halves. Remove the stone and then cut into slices or chunks.
- Preheat the oven to 180c/gas 4. Cream the butter or margarine and caster sugar together until light and fluffy. In a small bowl beat the egg and gradually add to the creamed mixture beating well each time.
- Fold in the flour and add a little milk so that the mixture drops easily off the spoon. Set the bowl aside.
- Grease your dish with some butter or margarine and place your fruits in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle over the Demerara sugar.
- Zest the lemon and sprinkle over the fruit.
- Spoon the cake mixture evenly over the fruit and spread with a knife so all fruits are covered. Make a pattern with the flaked almonds on the top (optional).
- Bake for 40 minutes. The pudding will be golden brown when cooked. Serve with custard or vanilla ice cream.
This is what it’s like trying to take photos of the finished items, I have someone very close who would love to a taste taster….but isn’t!