The classic English version of Madeleines is a basic sponge baked in an English Madeleine tin then coated in raspberry jam and rolled in coconut.
These doyennes of Englishness have drifted into the mists of time but I think it’s time for a revival as they are delicious
- Preheat the oven on to 180c/Gas 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and flour and mix well
- Split the mixture between the madeleine tin until each hole is 2/3 full, you may find that you have too much mixture to fill the tin, if so you’ll have to wait until the first batch is cooked before cooking the second batch.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Check if they’re cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre, if it comes out clean they’re cooked, if not put them back into the oven for a few minutes longer. Remove and leave to cool.
- Warm the jam in a pan, sieve the jam to remove the seeds then use a pastry brush to paint all the way around each madeleine, roll the cake in the coconut to coat. Repeat with the rest.