Ingredients: for the cakes
150g soft butter or margarine<
150g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
1 heaped tablespoon cocoa powder
grated zest of an orange
Ingredients: for the icing and nests
160g icing sugar
50g soft butter
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1-2 tablespoons orange juice – from the orange you have just used
100g dark chocolate chips
1 tablespoon golden syrup
5-6 shredded wheat biscuits
How to make Easter nest cakes….WASH YOUR HANDS.
- Ask an adult to preheat oven to 170oc/Gas 4 and put a shelf onto the centre runner. (AGA Roasting oven – shelf on oven floor).
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in the eggs then fold in the flour, cocoa powder and grated orange zest. Beat well to mix.
- Spoon the mixture into 12 muffin cases in a muffin tray, ask an adult to put the muffin tray into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until springy, to check insert a skewer if it comes out clean the cakes are cooked. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- While the cakes are cooking make the icing; cream the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together, adding the orange juice until you have stiff icing.
- Ask an adult to melt the chocolate chips and golden syrup in a heatproof bowl over a pan if barely simmering water. Use your fingers to crumble up the shredded wheat and add to the melted chocolate mix, stir to mix.
- Once your cakes have cooled spread the chocolate buttercream icing on top then arrange the chocolate shredded wheat mixture to look like nests and finish with 2 or 3 chocolate eggs.
If you prefer you can substitute the shredded wheat mixture for chocolate flakes, break them up and arrange them on the icing, top with chocolate eggs as before.