Delicious little roast pork pasties, great for Chinese New Year, picnics or as canapes
Ingredients: for 12 puffs
Marinade – prepare the evening before:
500g pork fillet or a mixture of pork and chicken breast
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5cm fresh root ginger, finely grated
4 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry
2 tablespoons yellow bean or oyster sauce
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons runny honey or caster sugar
1 pinch sea salt and ground black pepper
The rest of the ingredients:
100g bean sprouts – blanched for 2 minutes in boiling water
1 carrot, grated
2 pak choi, finely chopped
500g ready made puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
sesame seeds to sprinkle
- Mix together the marinade ingredients, cut the pork into 3 pieces so it sits in the marinade, cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge overnight, stirring occasionally to ensure that the pork is covered with the marinade as well as you can.
- Heat the oven to 180oc/gas mark 4, place the pork into a roasting tray (set the marinade to one side) and roast for 20 minutes, remove, baste and turn it over and roast the other side for another 20 minutes. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after touching raw meat, don’t touch anything else until your hands are clean.
- Remove the pork from the oven and leave to cool, then chop the pork into dice.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together with the diced pork. Place the remaining marinade in a wok and cook for 2-3 minutes (as this has had raw meat marinating in it you need to cook the remaining liquid to kill off any raw meat bacteria. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to coat with the marinade
- Roll out the puff pastry on a clean, floured work surface, cut into strips approximately 5cm wide, then cut the strips into 5cm squares.
- Place a teaspoon of the mixture on one side of the square, dampen the edges and fold over to make a triangle-shape. Stick down the edges to seal in the meat mixture.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the beaten egg over the pastry and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking parchment and ask an adult to put the tray into the oven, cook for 15-20 minutes until golden brown (10-12 minutes in the roasting oven of an AGA) ©BeverleyGlock2013