This is my version of Chicken Ramen, a healthy Pot Noodle, popular at Wagamamas and Noodle Bars. Cook the noodles as instructed on the packet or buy fresh or straight to wok versions. For a low carb version omit the noodles and cornflour.
Ingredients for 2 people
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
2cm piece fresh root ginger, grated
2-3 shitake mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 litre chicken stock
6 pieces of bamboo shoots
1 tbsp cornflour blended with
2 tbsp cold water
2 nests medium egg noodles or ramen noodles, cooked
2 handfuls baby spinach
2 spring onions, finely sliced
salt and white pepper
- Preheat a griddle or grill pan. Lightly oil and season the chicken breasts and sprinkle with a little Chinese 5 spice powder. Grill for 4-5 minutes each side until cooked through.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes then slice on the diagonal and set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a wok, add the root ginger and mushrooms and stir fry for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the rice wine, soy sauces, stock and bamboo shoots. Bring to the boil then add the cornflour mixture, stir to mix and reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Layer the noodles in the bottom of a bowl, followed by the sliced chicken and a handful of spinach. Pour over the stock and finish with the sliced spring onions. Eat immediately.