Ingredients: for 4 people
75g black truffles, washed thoroughly in cold water to remove the dirt and patted dry
75ml extra virgin olive oil – a really fruity Italian one
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped or cut with kitchen scissors
a little salt and freshly ground black pepper
sufficient spaghetti or tagliatelle for 4 people
- Grate the truffles with a very fine grater, the ‘very fine’ microplane is ideal
- Place 50ml of the oil in a small saucepan over a very low heat, add the crushed garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the grated truffles and chopped anchovies, keep cooking over a very low heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. The anchovies will disintegrate and become paste-like. Keep the heat, keep stirring, do not allow the mixture to boil and do not leave it alone, it likes company.
- Taste the mixture, add a little salt if needed and heaps of freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook the pasta, drain and toss over the remaining olive oil and spoon over the truffle sauce, serve.
If you don’t have any black truffles you could cook the pasta and stir through 4 tablespoons of truffle oil, lashings of freshly ground black pepper and a couple of handfuls of wild mushrooms sauteed gently in truffle oil.